4

Sherlock's Justification

holmes

The very first movie I saw this 2010 wasn't "Sherlock Holmes," but "Avatar"--seen for the second time earlier this month because I had to accompany relatives who still haven't experienced panoramic Pandora in 3D. This then pushes the Downey, Jr.-meets-Doyle mystery movie into the #2 spot for movies I saw this year.

I scoured my digital archives for this fleeting, back view photo of the famous detective from my trip to London last 2007. I was on a sightseeing tour bus, still groggy from the overnight flight from across the Atlantic, when we passed by Sherlock Holmes' statue at...where else? His fictional yet geographically factual territory--Baker Street.

I've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes books, but it impressed me to learn online that author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was also a physician. That explains the accuracy of anatomical references in the story, and the fact that Holmes' faithful sidekick and sensible chronicler, John Watson, is himself a doctor (as Jude Law would exclaim several times in the movie).

See his pipe? I wonder if he draws part of his superior logical reasoning skills from smoking it.

Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law together in a British "whodunit"? Melovesit! Although PETA probably would disapprove of how the dog became subject to Holmes' crazy concoctions of night creams and other dubious drug experiments. It's Animal Cruelty, My Dear Watson!

Director Guy Ritchie did a splendid job with those slow-mo fight scenes with medically authoritative voice-overs.

The sequel's afoot! I can smell it as keenly as the Hound of the Baskervilles!

4 vandalized my wall:

Sidney said...

You should really read his books !

witsandnuts said...

I have downloaded an ebook last year, but too lazy to read it through my phone. Galing talaga ng movie!

AVCr8teur said...

I've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes books either. I, too, watched Avatar instead of Sherlock. I figured, I could always watch Sherlock on DVD, but it wouldn't be so easy to see Avatar on 3D at home.

Usba said...

Yay!:-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails